Find Out What's Happening!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nothing But The Truth






Recently I read an article concerning the latest statistics on young gay teens and their senseless acts of suicide. Shockingly, the numbers are alarming. So much, it baffles me how many people today continue fighting against equality,especially Christians and other religious followers, who protest that they believe in God. Truth is, the Bible itself teaches: but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want; that there may be equality:- II Corinthians 8:14

Ironically, reading such information evoked me to recall my experiences as a young gay male, growing up in the city of Detroit. And like many teens today, I too was often taunted by my peers for being outspoken and expressive about my sexuality. In fact, I remember being chased home from school one day by a gang of boys. And the reason I remember that episode so well, is because of the words spoken from the individual who was chasing me, who said, “If I catch your punk ass, I’m going to kill you!”

Imagine the fear I felt hearing those words as I fled. I was terrified! So much, I ran so fast I don’t even remember touching the pavement. But today, I sit back and laugh when I think about it.

After all, it wasn’t his fault he felt as he did. Fact is, many in our society teach our youth that being gay or lesbian is disgraceful, sinful, and against the will of God. Yet when I read the scriptures and find verses that teach differently, I cannot fathom why anyone would willfully target gays or lesbians for being true to who they are.

And unfortunately, until we all reach that pinnacle of intelligence that prevents us from picking on those who are different, countless more teens will commit suicide. Even more unjust, is our justice system that continues portraying itself as being forth right towards equality, yet time-and-time again ignores the ignorance perpetrated through spiritually, by discerned religious teachers.


No wonder there are so many people that believe I’m wrong for standing up against this injustice, and attempting to teach the truth. After all, some neglect to accept that our legal system was established to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

But then again, so much of the ignorance we possess today concerning human sexuality, derives from ancient evils that still haunt us from the grave. However, to help combat such evil, the next time you receive an email from the Matthew Shepard Foundation requesting a small donation, think about the abuse he endured, as well as many others, who too, were merely living their lives in accordance to the laws governing our world...America was supposedly built on!

In the meantime, if gays and lesbians weren’t meant to exist, we wouldn’t. After all, God created everything there is and ever will be. As a result, we each are merely vessels of existence acting out the instructions we elect to respect and follow. Question is, which God are you listening to: the one and Almighty, loving, forgiving, and merciful God or the wicked one that strives on wickedness?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your comments and or, submit request for Advertising.